The Virginia Equine Alliance said April 10 that efforts to lease Jeff Jacobs' Colonial Downs property to conduct racing had ceased after the track owner rejected two offers.
The owner of Colonial Downs said the Virginia racetrack and its network of off-track betting parlors will close Nov. 1 if the Virginia Racing Commission doesn't approve its plan for live Thoroughbred racing in 2015.
As of Thursday, May 22, racing at Colonial Downs this year appears to be unlikely as horsemen in Virginia and the track have failed to reach an agreement on the schedule.
The Virginia Racing Commission granted an extension to Colonial Downs and the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association to reach an agreement on racing dates this year.
While no agreement is in place and the two sides still disagree on some important details, Colonial Downs and the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association have moved closer to an agreement.
With Colonial Downs and the Virginia HBPA failing to reach a contract agreement on this year's race schedule, the track has decided to temporarily close several off-track betting locations.
The National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association most likely will make recommendations for revisions to the proposed national model rule on medication penalties.
A lawsuit between Churchill Downs Inc. and a horsemen's group and some individuals over alleged antitrust violations has been settled between the parties.
There are four stakes races on Colonial Downs' Turf Cup card June 14, but a race earlier in the day will have many closely watching as well.
Susan O'Hara, founder of the Groom Elite horsemen's education training program, has stepped down as the organization's first and only president and has been replaced by Tommy Azopardi, who had previously served as the secretary-treasurer.
Seeking overall growth in horse racing, the Virginia Racing Commission Dec. 19 extended Colonial Downs' request for 40 days of live Thoroughbred racing to 45 for 2008.
- By Ryan Conley
Colonial Downs and Virginia horsemen have filed a lawsuit claiming Youbet.com is operating illegally without a license in the commonwealth, and want the advance deposit wagering company to pay back hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost source-market fees.
- By Nick Hahn
The Virginia Racing Commission Jan. 15 approved a five-year deal between the Virginia Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Colonial Downs, and also heard of plans for a $2-million turf festival in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection