Outsider Lucayan surged past Veneto in the final strides to win the Poule d'Essai des Poulains (French Two Thousand Guineas, Fr-I) by a short neck at Longchamp May 13.
Favored Mrs. Lindsay looked beaten with a furlong left to run, but the group I-winning French invader fought back along the inside to overtake local hope Sealy Hill in the $1 million E.P. Taylor Stakes (gr. IT) while setting a course record on the Woodbine turf Oct. 21.
Turtle Bowl closed with a rush to claim the Prix Jean Prat (Fr-I) for 3-year-olds at Chantilly, France on Sunday.
Irish-bred Torrestrella, supplemented by trainer Francois Rohaut to Sunday's Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Pouliches (Fr-I) at Longchamp, paid off handsomely with a 1 1/2-length win in the 3-year-old filly Classic.
Pearly Shells ran down Ana Marie in the final 100 yards to post a 1 1/2-length victory in Sunday's Group I Prix Vermeille for 3-year-old fillies at Longchamp, earning her fifth win of the season.
Most Popular Stories
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes
- Grade I Winner The Tin Man Dies at 17
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Top Three Derby Finishers Stretch Legs Monday
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Anti-Slaughter Bill Introduced in Congress
- Arrests in Connection With Derby Night Death
- GI Winners Untapable, Lea Work in Kentucky
- 'Sea Hero' Symposium Set for May 30
- Chinese Buyer Lands Top Two Mares at Inglis