A case in Central Kentucky that has resulted in 43 charges of second degree animal cruelty against Charles “Chuck” Borell and trainer Maria Borell has brought to the fore the laws in the state governing acts such as abandonment.
Kodiak Kowboy, whose victory in the Nov. 28 Hill 'n' Dale Cigar Mile Handicap (gr. I) at Aqueduct was one of three grade I triumphs this year, has been retired from racing and will enter stud in 2010.
Grade II winner Old Fashioned, who underwent surgery after emerging from the Arkansas Derby (gr. II) with an injury, has been retired.
Friesan Fire, one of the top choices for the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), breezed five furlongs at Keeneland the morning of April 14.
Trainer Larry Jones says that Oaklawn Park leading jockey Terry Thompson will ride Fox Hill Farms' Old Fashioned in the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. II) April 11.
Three-year-old Kodiak Kowboy, a Canadian champion and a grade II winner this year and last, will not enter stud in 2009 and instead will remain in training.
Richard Porter has decided to send his millionaire mare Round Pond to Storm Cat.
Rockport Harbor, a multiple graded stakes winner, has been purchased by Sheikh Mohammed's Darley operation and will enter stud at Darley at Jonabell near Lexington.
Senor Speedy, a prominent New York sprinter in the early 1990s, will stand at Dave and Cheryl Stejskal's Fox Hill Farm near Crete, Neb.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- The Curse of Haskin
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm