Cornerstone Thoroughbreds' Medea powered her way to victory June 21 in the $103,000 Eatontown Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park, and that was exactly how she liked it.
Sylvia E. Heft's Eighttofasttocatch led from start to finish and won the $150,000 Maryland Million Classic Oct. 19 at Laurel Park for the second time in the past three years. Last year the son of Not For Love finished fifth.
Bettors sent Sycamore Racing's 3-year-old Nellie Cashman off at odds of 19-1 in the $150,000 Virginia Oaks (gr. IIIT). But the plucky Mineshaft filly had other ideas July 13 at Colonial Downs.
Six top female riders are set to square off in the inaugural $30,000 Pimlico Female Jockey Challenge on Black-Eyed Susan Day, May 20, at Pimlico Race Course.
Forest Boyce, 26, has a chance to become the 10th Maryland-based rider to win the Eclipse Award for outstanding apprentice jockey.
Maryland natives Forest Boyce and Chris Grove wrapped up year-end titles at the major Maryland racetracks in the jockey and trainer divisions respectively after the final card of the season Dec. 18 at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount