Lord Avie, the champion 2-year-old male of 1980, died Dec. 28 at Blue Ridge Farm near Upperville, Va. Thoroughbred racing's oldest living Eclipse Award winner at age 34, he passed away peacefully from natural causes.
Favored Avie's Quality stalked and pounced in the $151,661 Display Stakes at Woodbine Dec. 1, launching an impressive move to earn his first stakes score for trainer Josie Carroll and owner Ivan Dalos.
Ivan Dalos' Fly for Avie, ridden by Todd Kabel, won the $330,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I) on Sunday, defeating co-favorites Lady Upstage and Innuendo in a blanket finish. The winner surged down the stretch on the outside to win the 1 1/4-mile race on firm turf in 2:02.78.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates