Lord Avie, the champion 2-year-old male of 1980, died Dec. 28 at Blue Ridge Farm near Upperville, Va. Thoroughbred racing's oldest living Eclipse Award winner at age 34, he passed away peacefully from natural causes.
Favored Avie's Quality stalked and pounced in the $151,661 Display Stakes at Woodbine Dec. 1, launching an impressive move to earn his first stakes score for trainer Josie Carroll and owner Ivan Dalos.
Ivan Dalos' Fly for Avie, ridden by Todd Kabel, won the $330,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I) on Sunday, defeating co-favorites Lady Upstage and Innuendo in a blanket finish. The winner surged down the stretch on the outside to win the 1 1/4-mile race on firm turf in 2:02.78.
Most Popular Stories
- Almoonqith Wins at Meydan, Cavalryman Injured
- Extra Two Days Approved for Oaklawn Season
- Illinois Racing Board Appointments Announced
- Pride of Dubai Wins Blue Diamond Thriller
- Shamal Wind, Suavito Sprint to Caulfield Wins
- Another Chapter for John Nerud
- Oaklawn Park Cancels Feb. 28 Racing
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel