Lord Avie, the champion 2-year-old male of 1980, died Dec. 28 at Blue Ridge Farm near Upperville, Va. Thoroughbred racing's oldest living Eclipse Award winner at age 34, he passed away peacefully from natural causes.
Favored Avie's Quality stalked and pounced in the $151,661 Display Stakes at Woodbine Dec. 1, launching an impressive move to earn his first stakes score for trainer Josie Carroll and owner Ivan Dalos.
Ivan Dalos' Fly for Avie, ridden by Todd Kabel, won the $330,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I) on Sunday, defeating co-favorites Lady Upstage and Innuendo in a blanket finish. The winner surged down the stretch on the outside to win the 1 1/4-mile race on firm turf in 2:02.78.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Court Ruling Important in Hobby Law Tax Cases
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite