Lord Avie, the champion 2-year-old male of 1980, died Dec. 28 at Blue Ridge Farm near Upperville, Va. Thoroughbred racing's oldest living Eclipse Award winner at age 34, he passed away peacefully from natural causes.
Favored Avie's Quality stalked and pounced in the $151,661 Display Stakes at Woodbine Dec. 1, launching an impressive move to earn his first stakes score for trainer Josie Carroll and owner Ivan Dalos.
Ivan Dalos' Fly for Avie, ridden by Todd Kabel, won the $330,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I) on Sunday, defeating co-favorites Lady Upstage and Innuendo in a blanket finish. The winner surged down the stretch on the outside to win the 1 1/4-mile race on firm turf in 2:02.78.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Mshawish Tops Taylor Made Roster, For Now
- Orb Colt Tops Fasig-Tipton Second Session
- Handy Work at Remington for Texas Chrome
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Twilight Son to Cheveley Park in 2017
- No Raise for NYRA Discretionary Spending
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic