A state appeals court in Tallahassee, Fla., has given Gretna Racing LLC what could be a final legal "no" in its bid to resume pari-mutuel barrel racing.
Hialeah Park has set its schedule for its next season, with a Quarter Horse-only meet of 40 days from Dec. 26, 2014 through March 2, 2015. It will conduct racing Fridays through Mondays throughout that period.
Hialeah Park's preliminary racing dates filing for the 12 months beginning in July calls for another three-month season of Quarter Horse racing, without a return of Thoroughbreds.
Horse racing interests said June 6 the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation will not appeal a court ruling that called into question pari-mutuel barrel racing at Gretna Racing and Hamilton Downs.
An administrative law judge in Florida ruled May 6 the state can't allow pari-mutuel barrel racing under current law.
Gretna Racing in Gretna, Fla., has resumed its controversial pari-mutuel barrel racing under a Quarter Horse license, and it is preparing to start its first simulcast signals.
Florida's administrative court set a timetable of late November 2012 for a ruling that could determine whether Gretna Racing LLC in Florida can continue to use a Quarter Horse racing permit for pari-mutuel barrel racing.
Hialeah Park will open its third Quarter Horse racing meet Dec. 10, and unlike its first two seasons it will include Thoroughbred simulcasts.
The Florida Division of Pari-Mutuel Wagering dismissed a request for an administrative hearing on questions of the legality of Gretna Racing LLC's Quarter Horse license, which it plans to use for pari-mutuel barrel racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Willcox Inn Suffers Fatal Paddock Accident
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Galloping
- Sweet Idea Leads Seven-Figure Trio at MM Sale
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- Moreno Seeks First SoCal Win in Californian
- NY Bill Could End Exercise Riders' Insurance
- Indiana Grand to Host PDJF Event
- BC Sprint Winner Work All Week Returns at CD
- Brown Sends Two West For American Oaks