Falls of Lora stormed home to win the UAE Oaks Sponsored by The Saeed and Mohammed Al Naboodah Group (UAE-III) by 2 3/4 lengths at Meydan Racecourse Feb. 23.
Michael Bello's Megahertz took advantage of a slow early pace as the 5-year-old British-bred mare unleashed a quick turn of foot in the last quarter-mile to win the San Gorgiono Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita on Saturday.
Trainer Eoin Harty expects a solid effort from the Irish-bred mare Firth of Lorne in Saturday's $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) for older fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles on the turf.
Fox Ridge Farm's Riskaverse, an also-ran in four consecutive grade I starts, found a group of fillies and mares more to her liking Saturday with a three-quarters of a length victory in the $175,200 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs turf.
Khalid Abdullah's homebred filly Zenda led early, was headed midway through the mile race, then regrouped to win the Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Pouliches--French One Thousand Guineas (Fr-I) by a length over Firth of Lorne (by Danehill) on Sunday at Longchamp. Sophisticat, a daughter of Storm Cat out of Serena's Song closed well to finish third.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Lady Shipman Stands Tall in Highlander
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- 'Ghost' Takes on Males in Queen's Plate
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Santa Anita Installs New Turf Course