Falls of Lora stormed home to win the UAE Oaks Sponsored by The Saeed and Mohammed Al Naboodah Group (UAE-III) by 2 3/4 lengths at Meydan Racecourse Feb. 23.
Michael Bello's Megahertz took advantage of a slow early pace as the 5-year-old British-bred mare unleashed a quick turn of foot in the last quarter-mile to win the San Gorgiono Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita on Saturday.
Trainer Eoin Harty expects a solid effort from the Irish-bred mare Firth of Lorne in Saturday's $150,000 San Gorgonio Handicap (gr. IIT) for older fillies and mares at 1 1/8 miles on the turf.
Fox Ridge Farm's Riskaverse, an also-ran in four consecutive grade I starts, found a group of fillies and mares more to her liking Saturday with a three-quarters of a length victory in the $175,200 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs turf.
Khalid Abdullah's homebred filly Zenda led early, was headed midway through the mile race, then regrouped to win the Gainsborough Poule d'Essai des Pouliches--French One Thousand Guineas (Fr-I) by a length over Firth of Lorne (by Danehill) on Sunday at Longchamp. Sophisticat, a daughter of Storm Cat out of Serena's Song closed well to finish third.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Preakness TV Rating Grows 6%
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Exaggerator, Nyquist Set for Belmont Rematch
- Connections of Uncle Lino, Laoban Regroup