Offspring of first-crop stallions grabbed the spotlight on opening day of the Doncaster Bloodstock Sales premier yearling sale Aug. 25, selling for the day's top two prices.
On the heels of another record-setting 2-year-olds in training sale season, Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. will seek to keep the momentum rolling as the focus shifts to the next generation at its August yearling sale Aug. 25-27.
Northern Meteor, leading first-crop sire in Australia, died suddenly July 30 from a "swift and fatal attack of colic," according to a release from Widden Stud.
Ashford Stud stallion Scat Daddy not only took the 2011 first-crop sires' championship with $1,521,410 in progeny earning but also topped the freshman list in other categories.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
The weekend brought a couple of new players to the 3-year-old scene and also underlined just how strong the second-crop sires are.
- By Ron Mitchell
Agents, owners, and trainers are purchasing yearlings by first-crop sires at the Keeneland September yearling sale because there is more upside than downside. Afterall, with no horses yet to race, each still has unlimited potential.
A Breeders' Cup victory means the world to breeders, owners, trainers, and jockeys. The same goes for stallion owners.
Here's what some buyers and consignors thought about the progeny of first-crop sires that were offered at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July select yearling sale.
Yankee Victor, a proven runner at a mile, had his first foals sell at Keeneland and Fasig-Tipton, where they averaged 5.55 times his $15,000 stud fee.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Loss Can't Derail Pharoah Phenomenon
- Island Town Crushes Smarty Jones Field
- Private Zone Speeds to Forego Victory
- Australian Trainer Bart Cummings Dies at 87
- Sheer Drama Plays Spoiler in Personal Ensign
- Flintshire Flies Away From Sword Dancer Foes
- Unbridled Forever Rolls to First Grade I Win
- Chilean Invader Dacita Takes Ballston Spa