Lankan Rupee, the world's highest-rated sprinter, was recently named Australia's Horse of the Year for the 2013-14 season.
Five fillies, led in by winner Mossfun, dominated the finish of the Toohey's New Golden Slipper Stakes (Aus-I), the world's richest 2-year-old race, April 5 at Rosehill Gardens.
Shamus Award tried for the seemingly impossible in the Aus$1million Australian Cup (Aus-I) March 8 at Flemington. He led nearly all the way, but then wilted late as Fiorente proved himself the nation's best horse.
Gai Waterhouse, Australia's first lady of racing, enjoyed her first victory in the nation's most famous race when Fiorente took the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) from Red Cadeaux in a thriller at Flemington Nov. 5.
Front-running maiden Shamus Award and apprentice jockey Chad Schofield stole Australia's weight-for-age championship in scintillating style Oct. 26 at Moonee Valley.
Trainer Chris Waller notched a third group I win this season when Boban stormed on the outside from the back of the field to edge favorite Streama in the Star Epsom (Aus-I) Oct. 5 at Royal Randwick.
Roger Elliot, foreman for Gai Waterhouse, talks about the barn prospects for Turnbull Stakes Day. watch video
Australian racing has a new sweetheart. Atlantic Jewel made a smashing return from injury Aug. 30 at Caulfield and easily won the New Zealand Bloodstock Memsie Stakes (Aus-I) to remain undefeated.
Green Moon upstaged the two most recent winners of the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) when he captured this year's edition of "the race that stops a nation" Nov. 6 at Flemington Racecourse.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Air Force Blue Retired to Ashford Stud
- Mirahmadi New Full-Time Caller at Golden Gate
- Klimt to Stretch Out in FrontRunner
- Streaking A. P. Indian Tops Vosburgh
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday