Susan and John Moore's Pocus Hocus wore down pacesetter Chrusciki in the final strides to capture the $70,000 Monmouth Beach Stakes at Monmouth Park on Sunday by a head.
For a pure handicapping puzzle, it would be hard to beat Sunday's $100,000 Sabin Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park, which drew a field of 10 extremely well-matched fillies and mares.
Spoken Fur, making her first start for owner Amerman Racing Stables and trainer Bobby Frankel, stepped into stakes company for the first time Saturday and registered a smashing victory in the prestigious $300,000 Mother Goose Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park.
Storm Flag Flying, last year's Eclipse Award-winning 2-year-old filly, will likely face six challengers next Friday in the Acorn Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park, according to New York Racing Association racing secretary Mike Lakow.
G. Watts Humphrey, Jr.'s favored Final Round came from off the pace with jockey Jerry Bailey to score a one-length victory Thursday in the the La Troienne Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Final Round, runner-up in the Forward Gal (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park March 14, is the likely favorite in a field of six 3-year-old fillies vying in Thursday's $100,000-added La Troienne at seven furlongs at Churchill Downs.
Barrister Hall Stable's Midnight Cry, with jockey Edgar Prado showing the way, caught Chimichurri in the stetch and drew off to win Friday's $100,000 Forward Gal Stakes (gr. III) in a mild surprise at Gulfstream Park Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California