Lambholm South Holy Bull (gr. II) winner Upstart was scheduled to breeze the morning of April 11 at Rick Violette's Palm Meadows base in Boynton Beach, Fla., but the workout was postponed when the colt developed a fever.
Two days after winning the Haskell Invitational (gr. I), Zayat Stables' Paynter remained at Monmouth Park with a slight fever that prevented him from shipping back to trainer Bob Baffert's base in Southern California.
Slew's Tiznow has been scratched from the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) because of a fever. The colt is the third 2-year-old Breeders' Cup contender to be scratched since Oct. 24 due to fever.
Trainer Todd Pletcher reported this morning that Rags to Riches, the first filly to win the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) in 102 years, has had her temperature drop to normal levels and will likely head back to the track Aug. 30.
A few cases of Potomac horse fever occur each fall in Kentucky. This year, a few cases have been seen, but they occurred a little earlier than normal. Dr. Nathan Slovis, of Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, said the early occurrence probably was due to the dry weather the past month.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- Distinctiv Passion Wires Field in Los Angeles
- Mulhall, Former Racing Manager, Dies at 76
- Filly First Winner for Twirling Candy
- Top-Quality Catalog for JRHA Select Sale
- Empire Dreams Rallies to Win Commentator
- Dinerman New Emerald Downs Announcer
- Unbeaten Karpino Romps in German Guineas
- Record Average at MM Weanling Sale
- Gulfstream Starter Bonus Tied to Field Size