A runner-up in his past two starts, New York-based Dads Caps will try to secure his first win since taking the Carter Handicap (gr. I) in April when the 4-year-old Discreet Cat colt starts in the De Francis Dash.
Laurel Park will begin a 69-day meet Sept. 5 with average daily purses of $240,000 and an expanded stakes schedule.
Live racing returns to Laurel Park Sept. 5 on the heels of the Maryland State Fair meet, which continues through Sept. 3 at Timonium.
Thirty-nine stakes races, with purses totaling almost $3.8 million, highlight the opening of the fall meet at Laurel Park. The meet kicks off Sept. 7 with live racing on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday during the month. Sunday racing will be added beginning the first week of October.
The Maryland Jockey Club announced Oct. 8 that it intends to extend the current Pimlico meet until mid-December, with the re-opening of Laurel Park scheduled for Dec. 26. The current Pimlico stand was tentatively scheduled to end on Nov. 2.
The start of the fall meet at Churchill Downs coincides with Halloween this year, but track officials insist patrons who walk through the gates Oct. 31 will discover nothing but treats.
In spite of ongoing construction that prohibited the use of most of the track's Clubhouse and wintry weather on the meet's final weekend, Churchill Downs reported gains in on-track attendance and wagering and set another record for total wagering during its 27-day "Fall Festival Of Racing" that drew to a close on Nov. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief to Undergo Nuclear Scan
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Borel Named to Ride El Kabeir in KY Derby
- Bejarano to Ride Bolo in Kentucky Derby
- El Kabeir in Sharp Drill for Kentucky Derby
- KY Oaks Hopeful Shook Up Sharp in CD Workout
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 19
- Duramente Storms Home in Japanese Guineas
- I'm a Chatterbox Works Toward Kentucky Oaks
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut