The European Pattern Committee implemented a five-year ban on downgrading any group race of 13 furlongs or more.
Europe will see two fewer group I events in 2016, from 87 in 2015 to 85, following a number of changes to group and listed races approved by the European Pattern Race Committee at its Jan. 18 meeting.
Brian Kavanagh, chairman of the European Pattern Committee, called for international uniform medication rules during an address at the Asian Racing Conference in Hong Kong May 6.
Ghostzapper, winner of the Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I) during his undefeated season, has been rated the top racehorse in the world on two international classifications.
Two new group I races will take place in Britain this year, the European Pattern Committee has announced. Both races -- the Falmouth Stakes and the Sun Chariot Stakes -- will be run at Newmarket, the headquarters of British flat racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees