The European Pattern Committee implemented a five-year ban on downgrading any group race of 13 furlongs or more.
Europe will see two fewer group I events in 2016, from 87 in 2015 to 85, following a number of changes to group and listed races approved by the European Pattern Race Committee at its Jan. 18 meeting.
Brian Kavanagh, chairman of the European Pattern Committee, called for international uniform medication rules during an address at the Asian Racing Conference in Hong Kong May 6.
Ghostzapper, winner of the Breeders' Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I) during his undefeated season, has been rated the top racehorse in the world on two international classifications.
Two new group I races will take place in Britain this year, the European Pattern Committee has announced. Both races -- the Falmouth Stakes and the Sun Chariot Stakes -- will be run at Newmarket, the headquarters of British flat racing.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Girvin Has Final Work Ahead of Haskell
- Glamanation First Stakes Winner for Point of Entry
- Brown in High Spirits After Three Saratoga Wins
- Raison d'Etat Gets First Winner