The scratch of odds-on morning-line favorite Enola Gray opened the door of opportunity in the $100,000 Torrey Pines Stakes (gr. III) Aug. 28 at Del Mar and Belvoir Bay shot right through it.
Amerman Racing's Baciami Piccola made the best of her first U.S. start March 12 at Tampa Bay Downs, where she closed widest of all in the stretch to win the $155,000 Florida Oaks (gr. IIIT).
Median price reached record heights by the end of the three-day first session of the Inglis Melbourne premier yearling sale March 4.
A colt from Equiano's first Australian crop sold for $420,000 ($375,113 in United States funds), the highest price ever for a first-season sire in Victoria, on day two of the Inglis Melbourne premier yearling sale March 3.
Sole Power provided one of the biggest upsets in British racing when he landed the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes (Eng-I) at York at odds of 100-1.
Starspangledbanner followed up his success in the Golden Jubilee Stakes (Eng-I) with a gritty victory over Equiano in the Darley July Cup (Eng-I) July 9 at Newmarket.
Despite stumbling at the start, Equiano dominated the field and scorched home to win the King's Stand Stakes (Eng-I) by 1 1/2 lengths June 15 at Royal Ascot.
The Aidan O'Brien-trained Henrythenavigator won the St. James's Palace Stakes (Eng-I) on opening day of Royal Ascot meeting. Other winners on the day include Haradasun, winner of the Queen Anne (Eng-I), and Equiano, winner of the King's Stand Stakes (Eng-I).
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Court Rules Borells Have No Claim on Horses
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- Malibu Moon Filly Tops F-T Pinhook Prospects
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted
- Arrogate Finishes Strong in Latest Drill
- Catch a Glimpse May Not be Done for Season