With a top rating of 130, Japan-based Just a Way was crowned the 2014 Longines World's Best Racehorse during ceremonies in London Jan. 20.
Epiphaneia eagerly tracked the pace into the stretch in the Japan Cup (Jpn-I) Nov. 30, kicked away to a huge lead as the 18-horse field charged toward the line, and won by four lengths over Just a Way.
Hong Kong Derby winner Designs On Rome outfought stablemate Military Attack for a neck victory in the Audemar Piguet Queen Elizabeth II Cup (HK-I) April 27 at Sha Tin.
Runner-up in the first two jewels of Japan's Triple Crown earlier this year, regally bred Epiphaneia broke through for a classic win in smashing style in the Kikuka Sho (Jpn-I, Japanese St. Leger) Oct. 20 at Kyoto.
Race favorite Kizuna closed relentlessly from behind and snatched victory from Epiphaneia near the finish line in the $5.2 million Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I), or Japanese Derby, May 26 at Tokyo.
Teruya Yoshida's homebred Logotype, Japan's champion 2-year-old male last season, stormed to a course-record win in the Satsuki Sho (Jpn-I) or Japanese Two Thousand Guineas at Nakayama Racecourse April 14.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Take Charge Brandi Not Entered in Honeybee
- Charles Town Cancels Thursday Night Card
- Changes Possible on Federal Tax Withholdings
- Handle on U.S. Races Down 3.66% in February
- Fair Grounds Preps a Tale of Two Sexes
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Rock Diva Dances to Auckland Cup Victory
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir Be 'The Boss'