Here is a selection of noteworthy pedigrees for yearlings set to sell at Keeneland's September auction Thursday, Sept. 11, the final day of Book 1.
Verrazano led the 3-year-old ranks this spring, and after his thorough demolishing of a good field in the $1 million William Hill Haskell Invitational July 28 at Monmouth Park, it looks like he's back on top.
In the first major stakes for 3-year-olds following the Triple Crown, favored Verrazano was an easy winner of the $148,500 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III) June 16 after his main challenger, Itsmyluckyday, was pulled up at Monmouth.
Superbly bred graded stakes winner El Padrino will enter stud in 2014 under the Northview Stallion Station banner, standing his first season at Northview PA in Peach Bottom.
Verrazano stamped himself as an exciting prospect for this year's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) with a spectacular 16 1/4-length victory in the fifth race at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 2.
At 2, El Padrino showed promise while running third in the Remsen Stakes. This year, he fulfilled that promise with a hard fought victory in the Risen Star Stakes.
El Padrino, who defeated Mark Valeski by a nose in the Feb. 25 Risen Star Stakes (gr. II), was one cool dude when he resided at Middlebrook Farm near Lexington.
El Padrino, the highly-touted 3-year-old from the barn of Todd Pletcher, proved he was worthy of the hype Feb. 25 at Fair Grounds when he outdueled Mark Valeski by a nose to win the $300,000 Risen Star (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Nomorerichblondes Leads Home KY Breds in Meydan
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Maker Quartet Headlines Fair Grounds 'Cap
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move