A winner of six of 10 starts in 2009, Tuscan Evening got her new year off to a great start when she captured the $100,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) as the favorite on the turf Jan. 3 at Santa Anita.
Acting Lady, Mrs Kipling, Pasar Silbano and Burg Berg, the first four finishers in that order in the Providencia Stakes (gr. IIT) at one mile on the Santa Anita turf April 4, meet again in the $100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park May 3.
Unbeaten Carlsbad, an Arizona-bred filly who won the first four starts of her career by an astounding combined margin of more than 50 lengths, should get her first real test in the $100,000 Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita March 29.
Trainer John Sadler sends out a pair of top 3-year-old filly candidates, including multiple stakes winner Evita Argentina, in the $150,000 Santa Ynez (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 17.
The aptly named maiden Stardom Bound, far behind the leaders on the final turn, unleashed a monstrous move through the home stretch to turn the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) into a 4 1/4-length stunner Sept. 1.
The muddled juvenile filly picture in Southern California should begin to come into focus on Labor Day when a dozen go to work in the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Putting Uncle Mo in Perspective