A winner of six of 10 starts in 2009, Tuscan Evening got her new year off to a great start when she captured the $100,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) as the favorite on the turf Jan. 3 at Santa Anita.
Acting Lady, Mrs Kipling, Pasar Silbano and Burg Berg, the first four finishers in that order in the Providencia Stakes (gr. IIT) at one mile on the Santa Anita turf April 4, meet again in the $100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park May 3.
Unbeaten Carlsbad, an Arizona-bred filly who won the first four starts of her career by an astounding combined margin of more than 50 lengths, should get her first real test in the $100,000 Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita March 29.
Trainer John Sadler sends out a pair of top 3-year-old filly candidates, including multiple stakes winner Evita Argentina, in the $150,000 Santa Ynez (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 17.
The aptly named maiden Stardom Bound, far behind the leaders on the final turn, unleashed a monstrous move through the home stretch to turn the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) into a 4 1/4-length stunner Sept. 1.
The muddled juvenile filly picture in Southern California should begin to come into focus on Labor Day when a dozen go to work in the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Upstart Fine After Haskell; Travers Next
- 'Pharoah' Heads Home, Next Race Undecided
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- Flashy American, Willow Hills in Groupie Doll
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Medication Among National HBPA Meeting Topics
- Rachel's Valentina Sparkles in Debut
- 'Maria' Upstages Champ Untapable in Shuvee
- TOBA July Member of the Month
- American Pharoah Takes the Haskell