A winner of six of 10 starts in 2009, Tuscan Evening got her new year off to a great start when she captured the $100,000 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) as the favorite on the turf Jan. 3 at Santa Anita.
Acting Lady, Mrs Kipling, Pasar Silbano and Burg Berg, the first four finishers in that order in the Providencia Stakes (gr. IIT) at one mile on the Santa Anita turf April 4, meet again in the $100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park May 3.
Unbeaten Carlsbad, an Arizona-bred filly who won the first four starts of her career by an astounding combined margin of more than 50 lengths, should get her first real test in the $100,000 Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita March 29.
Trainer John Sadler sends out a pair of top 3-year-old filly candidates, including multiple stakes winner Evita Argentina, in the $150,000 Santa Ynez (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 17.
The aptly named maiden Stardom Bound, far behind the leaders on the final turn, unleashed a monstrous move through the home stretch to turn the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) into a 4 1/4-length stunner Sept. 1.
The muddled juvenile filly picture in Southern California should begin to come into focus on Labor Day when a dozen go to work in the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired