The 1 1/8-mile Empire Classic was the feature race on a Belmont card that included eight stakes worth a total of $1.75 million.
Former claimer Royal Posse will try for his second straight stakes win against other New York-breds and third victory overall when he faces an expected eight rivals in the $300,000 Empire Classic Handicap.
Saratoga Snacks, owned by Hall of Fame football coach Bill Parcells, took the lead coming into the stretch and held on tenaciously to capture the $250,000 Empire Classic Handicap Oct. 19 at Belmont Park.
- By Claire Novak
Claire Novak and Frank Angst handicap the competitive Empire Classic H. and the stacked Raven Run S. this weekend. Will a speed horse win the Empire Classic? watch video
Stud Muffin, a $35,000 claim back in March, came through on the biggest day of the year for New York-breds as he stormed to a 1 1/2-length victory in the $250,000 Empire Classic Handicap on New York Showcase Day Oct. 18 at Belmont Park.
Trainer Pat Kelly is hoping the third time is a charm for Naughty New Yorker when he runs the 5-year-old in the $250,000 Empire Classic Handicap Oct. 20 at Belmont Park.
Hardwicke Stable's Spite the Devil wore down Organizer inside the final furlong to win the $250,000 Empire Classic Handicap for New York breds Saturday for the second year in a row at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar
- Deeply Undervalued Wins Commonwealth Derby