After winning the first main-track mile race held in many years, perhaps ever, at Keeneland, jockey Corey Lanerie had some advice for riders trying the distance in the weeks to come: Get out of the gate.
Finding two-turn racing to his liking, Cocked and Loaded used a powerful move in the far turn to open a clear advantage and was not threatened in the stretch in winning the $150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) Saturday.
Favored Mufajaah went six wide in the final turn and closed to win the $100,000 Bayakoa (gr. III) by a neck over Flashy American for her second straight stakes win at Oaklawn Park Feb. 15.
Recount led from the gate but had to fight out the finish of the $125,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) with familiar rival Private Prospect for a head-bobbing victory Sept. 6 at Arlington International Racecourse.
Apprentice jockey Victor Carrasco went over the 200-win mark for the year Dec. 13 when the 21-year-old rode two winners at Laurel Park, including number 200 for the year.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- OK-Bred GI Winner Clever Trevor Dies at 31
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- NY Alters Rules on Claims, Some Medications