After winning the first main-track mile race held in many years, perhaps ever, at Keeneland, jockey Corey Lanerie had some advice for riders trying the distance in the weeks to come: Get out of the gate.
Finding two-turn racing to his liking, Cocked and Loaded used a powerful move in the far turn to open a clear advantage and was not threatened in the stretch in winning the $150,000 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) Saturday.
Favored Mufajaah went six wide in the final turn and closed to win the $100,000 Bayakoa (gr. III) by a neck over Flashy American for her second straight stakes win at Oaklawn Park Feb. 15.
Recount led from the gate but had to fight out the finish of the $125,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) with familiar rival Private Prospect for a head-bobbing victory Sept. 6 at Arlington International Racecourse.
Apprentice jockey Victor Carrasco went over the 200-win mark for the year Dec. 13 when the 21-year-old rode two winners at Laurel Park, including number 200 for the year.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laurel Announces Winter Stakes Schedule
- BH 100: Commemorates
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?