Breaking quickly from the inside post, Molto Vita led every step of the way, holding off 4-5 favorite Tina Bull by a neck to win the $100,000 Ellis Park Breeders' Cup Handicap for fillies and mares Saturday.
The $200,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) highlights the 2004 stakes schedule at Ellis Park, worth a record $1.1 million. Total purses for the 11 stakes races scheduled during the 54-day meet, which opens July 7 and continues through Sept. 6, reflects an overall increase of $25,000 from the track's 2003 stakes calendar.
Ron and Ricki Rashinki's favored Vicki Vallencourt took the lead after a half-mile and pulled away in the stretch under Rafael Bejarano for a 7 1/4-length triumph in the $102,050 Ellis Park Breeders's Cup Handicap Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Into Mischief Filly MHBA Yearling Show Champ