Just more than three weeks into Del Mar's summer meet, opinions still vary on the seaside track's new dirt surface, but most seem to agree the track is beginning to show what could be its lasting form.
When Del Mar kicks off its 76th summer season July 16, the seaside California oval will be marking a return to a dirt main surface after eight years with a synthetic track as mandated by the California Horse Racing Board.
Home Run Kitten went deep to nab favored Ambitious Brew by a nose in the $101,500 Eddie D. Stakes to conclude opening-day action of the autumn meet at Santa Anita Park with a 10-1 upset over the hillside turf course Sept. 26.
The newly renovated main track at Santa Anita Park will reopen for training Sept. 2, three weeks before the autumn meet begins.
Santa Anita Park has announced that it's one mile main track will undergo a major renovation beginning July 11 following conclusion of the Southern California facility's first spring stand.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule