Grade I winner Purim, a member of the stallion corps at Nathan Fox' Richland Hills near Midway, Ky., was euthanized Jan. 14 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington following colic surgery.
Heavy choice Tight Precision, closing fast on the outside, surged past Bootleg Annie and Pretty Unusual close to home to post her first stakes victory in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf at Santa Anita.
Jamie Theriot, aboard Purim, had no idea if he'd get there. Julien Leparoux, on Cosmonaut, was doing his best to power under the wire. In the stands, 24,480 racegoers strained to see the photo. They saw Purim prevail by a neck in the Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland Oct. 6.
E. J. Sukley's Purim, a multiple graded stakes winner on turf and dirt, pouncedd on the leader in the stretch en route to a 3 ¼-length victory in the inaugural $100,000 Avers Wexler Illinois Owners Stakes on Sunday at Arlington Park.
Unbeaten Purim stalked a quick pace before striking to the lead in the stretch en route to a 2 ½-length victory in the $150,000 Arlington Classic (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Arlington Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Arizona's Global Symposium Registration Open
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20