Customer Base, in a thrilling finish to the final stakes of the year at Santa Anita Park, nosed out Stormy Lucy in the $100,000 Robert J. Frankel (gr. IIIT) on the turf Dec. 29.
Great Attack, closing from fifth at mid-stretch, collared favored Bridgetown close to home for a narrow victory in the $150,350 Twin Spires Turf Sprint (gr. IIIT), the first stakes race on the Kentucky Derby card May 5.
Field Commission found room at the top of the lane and took over approaching the sixteenth-pole on his way to a 1 1/2-length victory in the $500,000 Nearctic Stakes (Can-II) Oct. 17 on the Woodbine turf.
Polytrack seems to be to the liking of Edward Seltzer's Verdana Bold, as the 3-year-old filly won for the second time in as many starts on the synthetic surface, this time in the $259,300 Selene Stakes (Can-III) May 18 at Woodbine.
Verdana Bold ran down 3-5 favorite Authenicat to take the US$156,727 Star Shoot Stakes for 3-year-old fillies by one length at Woodbine April 13.
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Stronach Takes Stand on Integrity Reforms
- And They're Off: The End of the Trail Edition
- Illinois Gaming Plans Would Slice Racing Aid
- Midnight Hawk Brings Illinois Derby Intrigue
- Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigations
- Dude Back On Game for Charles Town Classic
- Street Boss Colt Among Top OBS Day 2 Workers
- Eight Rivals Try Kid Cruz in Federico Tesio