Calumet Farm has appointed Ken Wilkins as its new director of the farm's stallion division, effective immediately. Among Wilkins' initial tasks will be to expand Calumet's stallion roster.
Mahogany Lane, an unraced mare from an accomplished family, pulled down the top price at the Melnyk Racing Stables broodmares and weanlings dispersal July 14 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky in Lexington.
A Rockport Harbor filly commanded the top price of the second session of Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s June 2-year-olds in training and horses of racing age sale June 18, bringing $210,000 from Patrice Miller, EQB Inc.
Percentage of yearlings sold skyrockets at first three major sales
Calumet Farm's Oxbow, winner of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), likely will not run again this year, according to trainer D. Wayne Lukas.
The filly that topped the opening session of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected yearling sale Aug. 5 sale is a product of the successful Thoroughbred operation of billionaire businessman Brad Kelley.
Preakness Stakes winner Oxbow is expected to return to the worktab July 6 or 7 at Churchill Downs, Calumet Farm manager Eddie Kane confirmed July 5. He will be the third Triple Crown classic victor to get back into action.
The prevailing trend in the American Thoroughbred marketplace recently has been positive and the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale generated more upbeat news as all key business figures increased from a year ago.
Fancy Prancer became the most expensive horse sold so far during the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale in Lexington when she brought $200,000 early in the evening of Feb. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Bal a Bali Vying for U.S. Score in American
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- KHRC Vote on Salix Threshold Triggers Debate
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- Unspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining