Stalking Red Lead soared past the leaders in deep stretch for jockey Martin Bourdieu to tally by 2 1/4 lengths in the $114,400 Sunland Park Handicap April 18.
It Happened Again and Doc's Friend, a pair of colts from the barn of Larry Jones who defeated older horses last time out, lead a full field of a dozen 3-year-olds in the $150,000 Barbaro Stakes (gr. III) July 19 at Delaware Park.
Warrior's Reward, who scored a strong allowance victory last month, looks like the one to beat in the $100,000 Northern Dancer Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds June 13 at Churchill Downs.
Peachtree Stable's homebred Mythical Power rebounded emphatically from a last-place effort in the Sunland Derby, taking over at the top of the lane under Victor Espinoza and drawing off for a resounding victory in the $400,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) May 9.
A Texas native, Steve Asmussen is the all-time leading trainer at Lone Star Park, but he has never captured the racetrack's signature event for 3-year-olds, the Lone Star Derby (gr. III). On May 9, Asmussen will have his best chance when he sends out three of the seven starters in the $400,000 contest.
Mayor Marv, one of two colts entered by trainer Bob Baffert, is the morning-line favorite for the $800,000 Sunland Park Derby March 29. It's the New Mexico racetrack's richest race.
Scorewithcater outfought Mine That Bird during a stretch-long duel to capture the $100,000 Borderland Derby by a neck at Sunland Park Feb. 28.
Before we get to this past week's races, including Monday's Smarty Jones Stakes, there is a pedigree pattern developing this year that you don't normally see to this degree.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture