Kentucky shipper Room Service, the only grade I winner in the field, overpowered the leaders in the drive for the wire to tally impressively in the $350,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) May 31 on the Santa Anita turf.
Room Service appreciated some extra ground as she rallied from last to first to deny favored Candy Kitty in the $100,000 Herecomesthebride Stakes (gr. IIIT) March 2 on the Gulfstream Park turf.
Odds-on choice Pommes Frites notched her fifth win of the year in sharp fashion Sunday, sweeping past the pacesetter Virden mid-stretch and rolling to victory in the $112,300 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the Belmont Park inner turf course.
Malcolm E. Parrish's 3-year-old, Irish-bred Chaibia finished a respectable fourth in last month's Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Sunday, she'll tackle older horses for the first time in the 29th running of the $100,000 Athenia Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/16 miles.
John Bowers Jr.'s New Jersey homebred Smart N Classy, winless in five starts this season for trainer John Tammaro III, seeks a repeat of her victory last year in the $150,000 Eatontown Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park Saturday.
Gary Tanaka's Hallowed Dream, a winner of her last three starts on the Santa Anita lawn for trainer Ben Cecil, shipped to Northern California to take the closing day $125,625 Yerba Buena Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) with a superb effort at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- American Pharoah Arrives at Monmouth
- Darley Closes Aiken Training Track Stable
- O'Neill Sets Del Mar Record With Five Wins
- Grade II Winner Moulin de Mougin Retired
- London Tower Game in Eternal Search
- Top West Coast Mares Ready for Clement Hirsch
- Belmont Runner-Up Frosted Back in Jim Dandy
- Monmouth Ups Haskell Purse to $1.75 Million
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell