Officials with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture on June 29 charged Charles "Chuck" and Maria Borell with 43 counts of second-degree cruelty to animals in connection with the abandonment of horses in Central Kentucky.
An alleged case of horse neglect on a Midway, Ky. property leased to trainer Wayne Murty is being investigated by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture and Woodford County Animal Control.
The Kentucky Department of Agriculture announced in a statement Oct. 30 that it lifted a quarantine order for half of Barn 47 at Churchill Downs, which was placed under quarantine Oct. 26 because a horse was found to be infected with equine herpes virus (EHV-1).
Turfway Park officials, representatives from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, Kentucky Horse Racing Authority officials, and representatives from the Kentucky HBPA met Monday morning at Turfway Park to provide a current status of horses exposed to equine herpes in Barn 26 at Turfway Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
Kentucky legislators received assurances July 13 the state is well equipped to handle future equine disease outbreaks, but they got no answers to questions about the origin of the strangles cases earlier this spring at the Churchill Downs Trackside Training Center.
Kentucky State veterinarian Robert Stout said the state has begun enforcing regulations that require any horse traveling within Kentucky--except farm-to-farm and to approved sales--to have a current Coggins test (within the previous 12 months) and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection conducted within the previous 150 days.
Initial test results show that 19 horses have tested positive for possible strangles infection at the Trackside training center in Louisville, Ky., according to information provided by Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Well-Balanced Field in Dance Smartly
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Look Back: Dr. Fager Delivers on Turf in United Nations
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- Wings of Eagles Seeks English-Irish Derby Double
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate