The Racing Medication and Testing Consortium board of directors has approved thresholds and withdrawal guidelines for six medications that have been identified as having therapeutic purposes.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Racing Medication and Testing Consortium will, among other things, discuss proposals to phase out race-day medication use during its next meeting Aug. 4.
- By Tom LaMarra
Though studies have been completed to determine threshold levels for almost 20 therapeutic medications, it doesn't mean the industry will know for certain whether the drugs can impact equine performance.
The board of directors of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium (RMTC), in consultation with the RMTC Scientific Advisory Committee, approved policy recommendations for the use of steroids. The action took place at an RMTC board meeting March 25 Austin, Texas.
Members of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium haven't backed away from a call for regulation of anabolic steroids in racehorses, but on Jan. 31 they endorsed a Dec. 31, 2008, deadline for nationwide adoption of a model rule.
Research shows small amounts of stimulants and therapeutic drugs can be detected in stalls and other locations on the backstretch, and that has horsemen concerned given sensitive testing methods and regulations that don't make provisions for environmental contamination.
The newly christened Racing Medication and Testing Consortium said May 1 it has formed three task forces to focus on developing an organizational and business plan, scientific research priorities, and a model medication policy.
Fairy King Prawn, a two-time Horse the Year in Hong Kong, underwent surgery Friday to repair an injured suspensory ligament and splint bone.
Most Popular Stories
- White Passionforfashion Already Turning Heads
- IHRC Report: Truesdail Missed Seven Positives
- California Chrome Arrives at Arlington
- Medal Count Retired to Spendthrift Farm
- WTBOA Summer Sale Catalog Available Online
- Lovely Maria Returns for Delaware Oaks
- Cozmic One, Full to Uncle Mo Meet at Belmont
- Colt First Winner for U.S. Champ Cape Blanco
- KY Downs Sets Historical Racing Handle Record
- Ben's Cat Aims for Fourth Parx Dash Victory