Researchers investigating mare reproductive loss syndrome (MRLS) have made a causative link between the ingestion of live eastern tent caterpillars in pastures and MRLS-type abortions.
"In the final analysis, we do not understand this disease," said Dr. Bruce Webb, an entomologist at the University of Kentucky who has been a leading researcher into the problem of Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome.
Eastern tent caterpillars, plus bacteria and a means to infect placental fluids with the bacteria, equals mare reproductive loss syndrome. It might be as simple as that.
Most Popular Stories
- McCarron Named New Trainer at Merryland Farm
- Baffert: Dortmund is 'Figuring it Out'
- Unlocking Winners: The Return of Daredevil
- Churchill Weighs In on Its Racing Operations
- Bill Would Allow Dealers at Indiana Racinos
- North Dakota May Owe Bankrupt ADW Millions
- Horton Considers Rebel for Take Charge Brandi
- Local Time Continues Meydan Dominance
- First Foal for Nephrite is Filly
- Greyhound 'Cessation' Bill Sends a Warning