Monmouth Park, which will host the Breeders' Cup World Championships, concluded its 75-day summer meet Sept. 2 with solid gains in attendance and handle.
Representatives from every sector of New Jersey's horse industry, as well as politicians from nearly every portion of the state, came together Wednesday to explore issues and help find solutions for the future of the industry during the first "New Jersey Horse Industry Symposium" at Monmouth Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
The New Jersey Racing Commission expects to consider a "participation agreement" for distribution of revenue from account and off-track wagering at an Aug. 18 meeting at which the stakeholders are expected to apply for a license to begin account betting.
Songandaprayer will face City Zip as the 122-pound co-highweight in Wednesday's Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III), the third race on Monmouth Park's 10-race holiday card. The six-furlong sprint marks the first race for Songandaprayer since finishing 13th in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Songandaprayer, a $1 million purchase who broke his maiden at Monmouth in his only other start, enjoyed a successful stakes debut Sunday by winning the $84,800 Huntington Stakes on a sloppy track at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta