Breeders' Cup believes it is well-prepared in the areas of safety and security for its Nov. 1-2 World Championships at Santa Anita Park.
The Breeders' Cup board of directors has again approved an early foal nomination deadline that allows for a $100 discount off the $500 nomination fee for all foals nominated electronically to the program by Aug. 1.
The Breeders' Cup will no longer use the services of the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau for security at the World Championships, beginning with this year's event Nov. 4-5 at Churchill Downs.
The deadline for open enrollment of previously non-nominated yearlings and horses of racing age to the Breeders' Cup program is June 30, Breeders' Cup officials said.
The Breeders' Cup announced that effective Feb. 1, all non-nominated yearlings and horses of racing are eligible to join the Breeders' Cup through a new Open Enrollment program.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission hopes to expedite regulations for out-of-competition testing and have them in place in time for this year's Breeders' Cup World Championships at Churchill Downs.
The number of foals nominated to the Breeders' Cup program for 2008 was 14,602, down about 9% from 16,089 in 2007, according to figures released Feb. 24 by Breeders' Cup.
It is now official. The mystery surrounding where the world's top-rated miler would run on Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships day has been settled by his owner Paul Makin: Starcraft will contest the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered By Dodge (gr. I) at 1 1/4 miles on dirt.
The Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships lost one of its European stars Saturday when Vodafone Epsom Derby (Eng-I) winner Motivator came up lame following a workout.
Most Popular Stories
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita