Memorial Maniac came from off the pace to score his first graded-stakes win in the $100,000 Stars and Stripes Turf (gr. IIIT), the first of four graded stakes on the Arlington Park turf Aug. 21.
Pleasant Hill may have been 20-1 on the morning line for the $150,000 Gardenia Handicap (gr. III) at muggy Ellis Park Aug. 18, but the bettors weren't having it. The 4-year-old daughter of Pleasant Tap led all the way in her stakes debut at odds of 7-2 to win by one length over High Heels.
Turfway Park closed its 2005 holiday meet Dec. 31 with increases in virtually every category over the same period in 2004, most of them double-digit improvements.
Donamire Farm's Twilight Road won Calder's $100,000 Memorial Day Handicap (gr. III) for the second consecutive year, defeating Whos Crying Now by three-quarters of a length. It was 2 1/2 lengths back to Hear No Evil in third.
Donamire Farm's Twilight Road ran down the leaders in late stretch to win the $150,000 Miami Mile Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course Saturday.
Twilight Road beat Hear No Evil by 5 1/4 lengths and won the $100,000 Memorial Day Handicap (gr. III) at Calder Race Course on Monday.
Twilight Road withstood a challenge from Mountain General in the stretch of Sunday's Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs Sunday and went on to a 2 /2-length victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea
- Suffolk Expected to Apply for 2015 Live Dates
- Undrafted Opens Season in Shakertown
- Kobe's Back Returns East for Commonwealth
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Judy the Beauty Heads Busy Work Tab for Ward
- Peace and War Returns for Ashland