Starlight Stable and partners' Monba, winner of the 2008 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland, has been retired from racing because of an injury to his left hind leg.
There may have been questions about Octave's winning desire after five consecutive runner-up efforts dating back to last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). But not after the quality filly made it back-to-back grade I victories Saturday in the $300,000 Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I) for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park.
Second in each of her last five starts, odds-on choice Octave defeated three rivals while becoming a grade I winner for the first time in the $237,500 Mother Goose for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park Saturday.
Returning from a seven-month layoff, Keyed Entry went gate to wire to defeat four overmatched opponents in Saturday's $100,000 Deputy Minister Handicap (gr. III), the first of six graded stakes on the Gulfstream Park program.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack