California-bred filly Shaggy Mane took command soon after the start of Saturday's $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint at Gulfstream Park and never looked back under jockey Mark Guidry, romping home a 7 3/4-length winner at odds of nearly 9-to-1.
Singletary, winner of the 2004 NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) and an earner of better than $1.75 million in his race career, will enter stud at Cardiff Stud Farms near Atascadero, Ca., where his 2006 fee will be $5,000.
Julie Krone resumed her riding career Wednesday after an absence of nearly two months but did not win a race in three attempts. In the feature, Singletary won the $71,350 Thunder Road Handicap.
La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Singletary will head to the sidelines for the remainder of the year following the bay son of Sultry Song's fifth-place finish in the Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) on Sept. 6, trainer Don Chatlos Jr. said .
Singletary, the probable favorite in the $100,000-added Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds goint one mile on turf Sunday, is named after Mike Singletary, Hall of Fame linebacker for the Chicago Bears.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Bolo Back Home at Santa Anita for Thunder Road
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired