Cot Campbell has enjoyed a long and distinguished career in Thoroughbred ownership, and looks to add the Kentucky Derby to the Preakness Stakes he banked with Summer Squall 23 years ago.
Mary Lee-Butte, executive director of the Blue Grass Farms Chaplaincy, is the winner of the 2009 Dogwood Dominion Award, which is given by Dogwood Stables. She is the 17th recipient of honor, which annually recognizes one of racing's "unsung heroes." She will receive $5,000 and a bronze statue of the former Dogwood runner Dominion at a luncheon at the Reading Rooms in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Vincent "Vinnie" Garibaldi, an 81-year-old former longshoreman who is now an Ocala, Fla.-based horse farm worker, is this year's winner of the Dogwood Dominion Award.
Phyllis Shetron, an advocate for the backstretch worker, a founding member of the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program, and a trainer, is the 2007 winner of the Dogwood Dominion Award.
Volponi, winner of the 2002 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), and grade II winner Monarch's Maze were represented by their first winners June 21.
Dogwood Stable is now accepting nominations for its annual Dogwood Dominion Award for an unsung hero in the Thoroughbred industry. Nominations should be received no later than June 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab