Once again, I will be turning the attention of my blog to all things Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) after this week...But first I wanted to bring you this touching story about a sweet gelding named Doctor Decherd. read blog
The Bob Baffert-trained duo of Wanna Runner and Sky Diving, both disappointing in their most recent starts, lead a field of nine 3-year-olds entered for Saturday's $600,000 WinStar Derby at New Mexico's Sunland Park.
Winless in his three previous starts, Southern California invader Indy Wildcat surprised the field with an all-out effort to win the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds at Sunland Park.
Mike McCarty's Doctor Decherd, who won the Aventura Stakes Jan. 7 at Gulfstream Park by a nose, ships to the Southwest to run in the $100,000 Borderland Derby on Sunday at New Mexico's Sunland Park.
The first 2006 appearance of leading 3-year-old Florida Derby (gr. I) threat First Samurai in the $150,000 Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) and seasonal debut of the promising 3-year-old Barbaro in the $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) are among the highlights on a stakes-filled card at Gulfstream Park Saturday..
The journey on the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) Trail officially began last weekend, and although none of the major stars were in action, there were enough solid performances – both gutsy and explosive -- to start the year off in a positive way.
Doctor Decherd commenced a strong rally entering the lane to nip Itsallboutthechase by a nose in a head-bobbing stretch duel to capture Saturday's fifth running of the $125,000 Aventura Stakes, the opening leg of this year's Florida Derby (gr. I) series for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double