Leland P. Cook Jr., a successful Texas breeder/owner who raced 1993 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) runner Dixieland Heat, died Nov. 6 after a lengthy illness.
Dixieland Heat, sire of Eclipse Award winner Xtra Heat, will stand at Joe and Sharon Kerby's Key Ranch near Salado, Texas.
Dixieland Heat, sire of champion and millionaire Xtra Heat, will stand in 2006 at Drs. Ken and Linda Quirk's Q6 Ranch near Belton, Texas.
Dixieland Heat, sire of champion Xtra Heat, has been relocated to Michele Rodriguez and Lee Daniel Thomas' Elite Thoroughbreds near Folsom, La.
Under a thick blanket of fog Saturday, Xtra Heat captured a record 25th career stakes victory in the $200,000 Barbara Fritchie Handicap (gr. II) on a sloppy track at Laurel Park.
Champion sprinter Xtra Heat broke on top and went on to score an authoritative victory in Saturday's $50,000 What a Summer Stakes for fillies and mares at Laurel Park.
Breeders' Cup Sprint contender Xtra Heat withstood some quick early pressure and turned in her first career victory over males by three lengths Saturday in the 150th running of the $250,000 Phoenix (gr. III) at Keeneland.
Xtra Heat was extra special in the $150,000 Endine Stakes (gr. III) at Delaware Park Saturday.
Champion filly Xtra Heat will skip Friday's featured $100,000 Honorable Miss Stakes (gr. III) at Saratoga in favor of the Aug. 10 Straight Deal Breeders' Cup Handicap at Laurel Park.
The forces were pulling at Kenneth Taylor for months. There were certainly more enticing options than wandering halfway around the world, especially for a guy reluctant to air travel. But when you own the fastest filly on the planet, no obstacle is too great to hurdle.
Most Popular Stories
- Sheikh Hamdan: U.S. TC Too Much Pressure
- Ol' Fashion Gal Fends Off Late Run in Selene
- Ashleyluvssugar No Fluke in Whittingham
- Mubtaahij Breezes Easy at Belmont Park
- American Pharoah Continues Churchill Training
- Solow, Queen's Jewel Win at Longchamp
- Stewart Pleased with Tale of Verve at Belmont
- Main Sequence to Defend United Nations Title
- Mikki Queen Rules in Japanese Oaks
- Pleascach Wins Irish One Thousand Guineas