Adele Dilschneider's homebred Apart prevailed in a protracted stretch duel with Colizeo to capture the $100,000 William Donald Schaefer Memorial Stakes (gr. III) at Pimlico May 21.
Favored Apart got the graded stakes racing at the 2010 Breeders' Cup off to a formfull start when he wore down Demarcation in the stretch to win the $108,600 Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III) Nov. 5 at Churchill Downs.
Driven wide into the homestretch by jockey Jesse Campbell, Apart methodically mowed his rivals down to win the $500,000 Super Derby (gr. II) by 1 1/2 lengths for his first graded stakes win Sept. 25 at Louisiana Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double