Wagering from all-sources on the Kentucky Derby race card totaled $184.6 million, a decrease of 1% from 2012's all-time record, which totaled $187 million, Churchill Downs reported on the night of May 4.
Churchill Downs and TwinSpires.com announced an increase in the guaranteed Pick 6 pools on the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) card May 3 and the following day's card that features the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I)
On-track and off-track wagering records were shattered at Saturday's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) as the Derby become the first individual race in U.S. racing to attract total betting of more than $100 million.
One of the most successful renewals of the Kentucky Derby in the 129-year history of Churchill Downs saw the historic track shatter across-the-board records for on-track and simulcast wagering and demolish its year-old North American record for betting on a single event and race day.
Churchill Downs will offer all-stakes Pick Four wagers with combined guaranteed pools of $1 million on next week's racing programs for the 129th renewals of the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks.
With $34,186 wagered on him to win, Saarland emerged as the 5-1 Kentucky Derby favorite at the conclusion of advance wagering on Friday. A total of $251,953 was bet in advance wagering Friday.
Resurgent A P Valentine and morning line favorite Point Given are listed as the close first and second betting choices after the opening day of the third and final pool of Churchill Downs' Kentucky Derby Future Wager.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan