Six-time stakes winner Carlsbad, the expected favorite for the La Brea Stakes (gr. I) next week, suffered a fatal breakdown while completing a seven-furlong workout at Santa Anita Dec. 19.
Jockey Tyler Baze, in his first race since breaking the little finger on his left hand two weeks ago, guided heavily favored Carlsbad to a track-record victory in the Rancho Bernardo Handicap (gr. III) at Del Mar Sept. 4.
Dennis Weir's Arizona homebred Carlsbad broke sharply and never looked back, taking seven 3-year-old filly rivals wire-to-wire to win by a half-length in the $150,000 Hollywood Oaks (gr. II) June 7.
Undefeated Arizona mighty mite Carlsbad ran her winning streak to five races when she drew off in the lane to claim the $100,000 Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) for her first graded stakes win March 29 at Santa Anita Park.
Unbeaten Carlsbad, an Arizona-bred filly who won the first four starts of her career by an astounding combined margin of more than 50 lengths, should get her first real test in the $100,000 Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita March 29.
Staten Island pounced on her foes in the $75,000 Arizona Oaks for 3-year-old fillies at Turf Paradise, drawing away to a 2 3/4-length victory for locally based trainer Kevin Lewis at odds of better than 5-1.
Hall of Fame jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr., with more than 9,500 career wins, as well as Siberland, who has aspirations for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), are among the featured attractions at Turf Paradise Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Named 2016 Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Arrogate Arrives at Gulfstream Park
- Smith Eagerly Awaits 'Chrome'-Arrogate Rematch
- Pegasus Features Several Unique Conditions
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- Sovereign Awards Finalists Announced
- Lea Gets Bay Filly as First Foal
- Arrogate Celebrated as Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Master Plan Impresses in OBS Championship Stakes
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - January 24, 2017