Business at Monmouth Park this year expectedly dropped after what appears to be a one-time "Elite Meet" last year, but average daily figures were still much higher than those recorded for the comparable 2009 meet.
The consolidation of Thoroughbred racing at Monmouth Park this year led to a $123 million increase in total handle despite 50% fewer racing dates, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority officials said Nov. 21.
- By Tom LaMarra
Dennis Robinson, president and chief executive officer of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, was elected to the NTRA board of directors as the Eastern region racetrack representative.
A second "summit meeting" on horse racing and gaming was held in New Jersey Sept. 10.
- By Tom LaMarra
Movement to fix racing's flawed revenue model hits the wall. Read More
Reduced racing days results in record gains at Monmouth Park's "elite summer meet."
Participants in The Jockey Club Round Table Aug. 22 in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., sought to convey optimism and opportunity in the face of declines in many facets of the Thoroughbred industry.
For the first time, The Jockey Club will provide live video streaming of the Aug. 22 Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
About 150 members of the harness racing community met at Meadowlands July 29 to discuss their options in the wake of a recent report that suggests racing at the New Jersey track is no longer viable under state ownership.
There is a buzz around Monmouth Park, which opens May 22 for an experimental meet during which purses will average about $1 million a day.
Monmouth Park concluded its 2009 meeting Sept. 27 showing a significant gain in average attendance, even as wagering followed what has become this year's national downward trend.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby