Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Russell Baze have won a lot of races together, mostly in northern California. But Saturday they began the stakes program on Kentucky Derby day with a win in the $229,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II).
Trickey Trevor, the 7-5 favorite, led from gate to wire under jockey Russell Baze to win Friday's $100,000 Forty-Niner Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
California-based bloodstock agent Mike Loomer died May 25. Services will be held in Hemet, Calif., on June 2. He was 62.
Globe-trotting millionaire Running Stag, a son of Cozzene who was scheduled to begin his stallion career at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Kentucky near Midway, will start his career instead at Adena Springs South near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner