Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Russell Baze have won a lot of races together, mostly in northern California. But Saturday they began the stakes program on Kentucky Derby day with a win in the $229,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II).
Trickey Trevor, the 7-5 favorite, led from gate to wire under jockey Russell Baze to win Friday's $100,000 Forty-Niner Handicap at Golden Gate Fields.
California-based bloodstock agent Mike Loomer died May 25. Services will be held in Hemet, Calif., on June 2. He was 62.
Globe-trotting millionaire Running Stag, a son of Cozzene who was scheduled to begin his stallion career at Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Kentucky near Midway, will start his career instead at Adena Springs South near Ocala, Fla.
Most Popular Stories
- Los Alamitos Schedules California Chrome Day
- Keeneland to Handle VinMar Dispersal
- Review: Spa Surface Not Factor in Fatalities
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- PA-Breds, Cathryn Sophia Head Parx Program
- BH 100: Rapping at Derby's Door
- Aftercare: The Challenges of Tracking Horses
- Rich Tapestry's Korea Sprint Start in Doubt
- Barretts Select Yearling Sale Stays Even
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp