The Breeders' Cup World Championships will return to Churchill Downs in 2010 to begin what could be a regular run of the Kentucky racetrack serving as a host site, officials indicated Oct. 8.
Oct. 24 will be for the ladies at the 2008 Breeders' Cup when all five of the World Championships events at Santa Anita will be carded for female horses. The two-day event will conclude with nine Breeders' Cup races on Oct. 25, seven of which will be open to males and females.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother