The Breeders' Cup World Championships will return to Churchill Downs in 2010 to begin what could be a regular run of the Kentucky racetrack serving as a host site, officials indicated Oct. 8.
Oct. 24 will be for the ladies at the 2008 Breeders' Cup when all five of the World Championships events at Santa Anita will be carded for female horses. The two-day event will conclude with nine Breeders' Cup races on Oct. 25, seven of which will be open to males and females.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm