Delaware Park jockeys will receive an increase in losing mount fees when the track opens April 25.
The $500,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III), washed out Sept. 2 and rescheduled, is the centerpiece of a power-packed Delaware Park program Sept. 9 when the racetrack holds its 14th Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association Owners' Day.
Pete Lizarzaburu, a former jockey who currently serves as social program coordinator for the Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, is this year's winner of the Dogwood Dominion Award, which honors an unsung hero in Thoroughbred racing.
Along with the connections of 3-year-old champion Afleet Alex, the Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association has announced a fundraising plan to benefit hurricane relief efforts.
The Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association board of directors announced the appointment of Bessie S. Gruwell as the association's executive director, effective Jan. 1.
One of the biggest promotions anywhere for Thoroughbred owners and trainers will be held Sept. 11 when the Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association and Delaware Park team up for their 12th "Owners' Day."
A benefit board has been established to oversee the Delaware Jockey's Health and Welfare Fund. Delaware Gov. Ruth Ann Minner signed the bill into law Aug. 23.
The $200,000 Endine Handicap (gr. III), which drew multiple graded stakes winner Mandy's Gold among the 14 fillies and mares entered, tops the Owners' Day festivities to be held at Delaware Park Saturday.
Purses are already pretty good at Delaware Park, but on Sept. 7, the annual owners' day sponsored by the Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, they'll be even more lucrative.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Delaware Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association has come up with an innovative way to reward horsemen who board horses at farms and training centers in the state for a given time period.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes