The horsemen's group at Finger Lakes racetrack in upstate New York approved a deal Feb. 27 permitting the track to remain open this year in the face of new gambling competition that's expected to eat into purse account funds.
The head of the horsemen's group at Finger Lakes Gaming & Racetrack is predicting the end of racing at the upstate Thoroughbred track, after a new state government budget deal failed to protect purse levels.
Companies that plan to construct new racetrack gaming facilities in Ohio have been summoned to appear before the Ohio State Racing Commission for a third time March 27.
Finger Lakes Casino & Racetrack has started construction on a $12 million expansion of its video lottery terminal facility.
James W. Simms will serve as president and general manager of Miami Valley Gaming & Racing, a new facility being developed in southwestern Ohio's Warren County, it was announced Feb. 1.
The Ohio State Racing Commission put racetrack casino developers on notice Jan. 10 when, at a hearing, members expressed strong displeasure with the racing aspects of the proposed Miami Valley Gaming and Racing facility.
The Warren County, Ohio, government Nov. 13 approved plans by Churchill Downs Inc. and Delaware North to build a racetrack casino that would replace Lebanon Raceway.
Delaware North Companies, which operates Finger Lakes racetrack in upstate New York, has joined in the bid by Empire Racing to operate the three New York tracks currently under the auspices of the New York Racing Association.
- By Tom LaMarra
Friends of New York Racing, a nonprofit entity formed to devise a new economic model for New York racing, has proposed a profitable public/private structure for the New York Racing Association and installation of video lottery terminals at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park