There's a saying that a Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner can come from anywhere. But that saying has more to do with where a horse prepped for the Run for the Roses than with its birthplace.
When it comes to identifying the great Irish stallion Sadler's Wells, it's easy to remember that his sire is the legendary Northern Dancer. But when it comes to naming Sadler's Wells' broodmare sire, it's not that easy for some.
Smart Strike bowls over the competition to be the 2007 North American leading sire.
Genuine Risk resides at Bertram and Diana Firestone's Newstead Farm near Upperville, Va., where she enjoys status as the resident queen.
When Dr. Alex "Doc" Harthill died July 16 at a Louisville, Ky. hospice of complications from pneumonia and a stroke at age 80, it marked the end of an era in veterinary medicine at Churchill Downs. Some of those within the racing community who knew him best reflect on Harthill's career.
The year 2004 turned out to be the type of year for Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey that the couple could only dream about a few years back. In their first appearance as Eclipse Award finalists, they won the outstanding owner trophy, and one of their horses, Kitten's Joy, won an Eclipse Award for best turf male.
Todd Pletcher, who was third in Eclipse Award balloting in 2003 after finishing the year in the No. 2 spot by earnings, ended the 2004 season atop the earnings list. That was good enough for him to cop an Eclipse Award for outstanding trainer.
Racing in general seems to slow down over the winter. Oh sure, there are newly-turned 3-year-olds to watch at Gulfstream Park, Santa Anita, and other major tracks and the announcements of the Eclipse Award winners and Experimental Free Handicap. But overall, there is a letdown in excitement.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS