Leading Prairie Meadows jockey David Mello landed his 1,000th lifetime victory the evening of July 12 when he guided Voodooville to a three-length victory in the fourth race at the Altoona, Iowa, track.
Kid Brock became the first winner for deceased 2009 champion and classic winner Summer Bird when he powered to a clear victory July 6 at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.
Mark Breen's Jessica's Star, winner of the Prairie Mile on a muddy track in his last start, parlayed that experience into an upset score in the $250,000 Iowa Derby (gr. III) on a sloppy track at Prairie Meadows June 28.
Jockey David Mello broke the record for number of victories during a Thoroughbred meet at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino when he won two stakes on Iowa Classic Night Aug. 3.
A possible interruption of Saturday's live card at Philadelphia Park was averted Friday when management at the Bensalem Township, Pa., racetrack assured jockeys they are indeed covered by insurance should they be injured while performing the duties of their profession.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment