Grade I winner and millionaire Afternoon Deelites arrived May 22 at Old Friends, the Thoroughbred Retirement Center, near Georgetown, Ky.
Grade I winner Greg's Gold seeks his fourth victory of the season, but the 6-year-old gelding will have to carry top weight and deal with red-hot Unusual Suspect, a winner in three of his last four starts, in the $100,000 On Trust Handicap Dec. 22 at Hollywood Park.
The Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) field is beginning to take shape with leading contender Balance scheduled to ship from Southern California to Kentucky April 29.
Favored Joey Franco captured the $75,000-added El Cajon Stakes for 3-year-olds at Del Mar Friday night, prevailing by a head in an all-out stretch duel with Taste of Paradise and a fast-closing Paxtecum.
Although trainer Mel Stute believes she is versatile enough not to have to be on the lead, Buffythecenterfold certainly seems to be the one to catch in Saturday's $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. II) for 2-year-old fillies at 6 1/2 furlongs on the main track.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Cathryn Sophia Gets Early Morning Workout
- Romans' Derby Pair Breezes at Churchill
- Abashiri Sweeps South African Triple Crown