A standing-room-only crowd gathered at Gulfstream Park Tuesday, March 24, for a memorial service to honor Hall of Fame horseman Allen Jerkens, who died March 18 at the age of 85.
Clancy penned the winning entry "Horse of a Lifetime," a news account of the 2014 Preakness Stakes (gr. I) won by California Chrome. It appeared in the July edition of Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred magazine.
Chad Harmon, photographer for The Blood-Horse, is one of three individuals that will be honored with a Preakness media award at the Alibi Breakfast in Pimlico Race Course's Terrace Dining Room May 17.
Steve Haskin received an award for outstanding magazine writing from Breeders' Cup Ltd. for his account of the 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic.
The National Turf Writers And Broadcasters will honor recently retired Oaklawn Park track announcer Terry Wallace, the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund, and New York-based turf writer David Grening Nov. 2 in Louisville.
David Grening of Daily Racing Form and Bob Fortus of The Times-Picayune in New Orleans earned top honors as the New York Racing Association announced the winners of the inaugural Joe Hirsch Memorial Writing Contest.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Top Three Derby Finishers Stretch Legs Monday
- GI Winners Untapable, Lea Work in Kentucky
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Arrests in Connection With Derby Night Death
- 'Sea Hero' Symposium Set for May 30
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes
- Keeneland Asks to Move Simulcasts to Red Mile
- Chinese Buyer Lands Top Two Mares at Inglis
- Kentucky Downs Plans KTDF Purse Increase