Under a heady ride from jockey Johnathon Parkes, Julinsky Prince got the second group I win of his career in the Captain Cook Stakes Dec. 5 at Trentham.
Top-ranked New Zealand jockey Matthew Cameron added the New Zealand One Thousand Guineas (NZ-I) to his record Nov. 14 when bringing Risque from far back for victory at Riccarton Park.
Philip Vela, an influential figure in the New Zealand Thoroughbred industry, died April 18 surrounded by family at his home in Te Kowhai.
Jockey Mark Du Plessis scored a group I double Jan. 18 at Trentham Racecourse when piloting Recite to victory in the Ocean Park Levin Classic (NZ-I) and Irish Fling to capture the J&N Berkitt Telegraph Handicap (NZ-I).
It certainly didn't come easily for him, but Singapore star Super Easy was able to hang on in the final strides to win the Singapore Guineas by a half-length at Kranji Racecourse May 18.
The many outstanding performances by Australian Thoroughbreds, both domestic and abroad, have been officially crowned in Australia. The 2006-2007 ANZ (Australia and New Zealand) Classifications were released, reflecting the best individual performances by Southern Hemisphere-bred horses in the past 12 months.
A son of Stravinsky was sold for US$906,000 during Monday's opening session of New Zealand National Yearling Sale to David Ellis.
During Tuesday's session of the New Zealand Premier Sale at Karaka, people were watching with polite interest at the yearling parade through the sale ring. That was until someone let off the fireworks, which started when the big chestnut filly by boom stallion Giant's Causeway entered the ring.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000